The following table provides an initial list of opportunities for those looking to enroll in (or apply for) a reskilling program to prepare for a career in tech.
Academy of Advanced Manufacturing
Business and IT Academy – New Horizons
to #mketech members.
Dev 10 – Genesis 10
TechHire – Employ MKE
TechHire:WorkIT – Forward Careers
Those that have a start up idea that they need help to cultivate might also consider acquiring new skills through the Coalition’s FOR-M program. FOR-M is a free, virtual workshop series that helps you solidify the startup idea that’s been bouncing around in your head through a customized curriculum and ongoing mentorship support.
Self-Directed Online Learning
The following programs do not currently meet our requirements to highlight as a preferred provider without additional supports but may be of interest. They are free or being offered at substantially reduced fees for a limited time due to the pandemic. If you are a community partner and would like to discuss how to leverage these resources as part of becoming a preferred provider, please contact Laura Schmidt at LauraS@mketech.org.
Microsoft/LinkedIn Digital Skills Initiative
All learning modules free through 3/2021. Registration for embedded certifications reduced to $15 September – December 2020.
There are many non-degree opportunities (online and/or in-person) that provide continuing education or reskill (or upskill) opportunities at the colleges and universities in the area. For example:
- Data Analytics Bootcamp (Carroll University): Includes both “Intro to Applied Data Analytics” and “Data Visualization with Tableau”. This program is a fully online tech bootcamp for professionals of all roles and industries to learn in-demand tech skills by completing hands-on projects from top tech companies like Spotify and Airbnb. Open to corporations interested in upskilling their workforce and individuals interested in taking on new roles.
- Tech Ed Frontiers (UWM): Provides opportunities to acquire digital badges demonstrating proficiency on in-demand skill sets across a variety of technical disciplines. Launched in Summer 2020 for corporate-sponsored programs with plans to open to individuals in future.
We are thankful to the Higher Education Regional Alliance for continually innovating to ensure that programs remain relevant and affordable. Please check their websites for additional information about available degree and non-degree programming offered virtually or in-person.
Check with your employer to see if they have programs to provide additional supports or financial assistance to support personal re/upskilling efforts. Those that are not currently employed should reach out to one of the workforce development boards/agencies in SE WI to see if they qualify for training funds and/or supportive services (i.e. help connecting to job opportunities, transportation, etc.). NOTE: In some cases, employers may qualify for funding to develop/offer services to non-traditional hires through these same agencies: Employ MKE, Forward Careers, UMOS
To stay informed on all things tech in MKE, please subscribe to our monthly newsletter.
The newsletter includes time sensitive information to take advantage of the opportunities above and so much more!
NOTE TO EMPLOYERS:
If you are an employer who would be interested in learning more about how to leverage all of the great opportunites for the new talent coming out of these programs, please feel free to contact providers directly and/or reach out to the Coalition for a discussion. Please consider the following questions to help evaluate the opportunities available in relation to your goals:
- What problem are you trying to solve?
- What skillsets are you having trouble finding?
- Are there targeted demographics that you are trying to reach?
- Is time to productivity a factor (buy vs. build)?
- Do you have the infrastructure to mentor early/non-traditional talent? If not, is this a competency you hope to build as part of your corporate culture?
- What cost vs. risk trade-offs do you typically evaluate?
- Are the costs considered headcount or an expense line item?
If you did not find what you are looking for on this page and/or still have questions, please let us know as your input can help us improve this resource over time. Contact: LauraS@mketech.org