About the MKE Tech Re/Upskilling Subcommittee
The Re/Upskilling Subcommittee seeks to engage with organizations in the greater Milwaukee region that would like to be actively engaged in our collective efforts.
Coalition Mission: Double the tech talent in the Milwaukee region to drive regional economic success, foster new opportunities in tech, and meet Employers’ growing need for skilled tech talent that is representative of the community.
Re/Upskilling Objective: Inspire workers with diverse backgrounds to take an interest in tech, gain confidence they will be valued in the #mketech ecosystem, and pursue the opportunities available to acquire high demand skills to prepare for employment.
Values: Strategies increase the likelihood for upward mobility of displaced workers/underrepresented populations and reinforce Coalition members as employers of choice.
The Model Employer framework defines the characteristics of the employers we seek to engage with around Coalition Re/Upskilling efforts. Does your organization have these characteristics? If so, please reach out to Laura Schmidt, Chief Talent Development Officer, for more information on how to get engaged.
- Our current/projected business model is dependent on a strong technology workforce.
- We are willing to source talent through both traditional and non-traditional means.
- We are willing to provide support and mentoring to both entry-level and non-traditional hires that enable them to be successful.
- We are willing to help identify ‘high demand’ entry level skillsets across the MKE tech ecosystem.
- We are willing to help develop and scale successful re/upskilling practices regionally.
- We are willing to provide a commitment to interview/hire from one or more Coalition Re/Upskilling program partners as tech staffing needs arise.
Initial Strategies/Initiatives 2020-21
- Entry/Mid-Career Talent – Scale successful reskilling programs that create in-demand tech talent from early/mid-career college graduates.
- Launch Dev10 program with Genesis 10 (initially for software development).
- Middle Skill Talent – Scale successful reskilling programs that create in-demand tech talent for middle skill jobs (beyond high school, not necessarily a college degree).
- Build Capacity for available programs.
- Advocate and Attract – Partner with key stakeholders to highlight Re/Upskilling programs available in the region and for those that might be looking to Reskill as part of their relocation plans.
- Sponsor for iHeart Media ReSkill MKE Campaign: www.ReskillMKE.net