About the #mketech K-20 Subcommittee
The K-20 Subcommittee seeks to engage with organizations in the greater Milwaukee region that share a passion for our Vision, Mission and Values and would like to be actively engaged in our collective efforts.
Vision: All students in the greater MKE region understand their potential to contribute to the #mketech ecosystem.
Mission: Retain an incremental 18,000 graduates with diverse backgrounds in the greater Milwaukee region (M7) interested in working in tech related fields.
Values: Strategies increase the likelihood for the upward mobility of underrepresented populations and reinforce Coalition members as employers of choice.
Initial Strategies/Initiatives 2020-21
- Demonstrate a Regional Commitment to Local Tech Talent Development – Bring together K-12 educators, higher ed, industry and community partners to expose students to computing and related disciplines and support the ‘What’s Next’ across key stakeholder groups.
- Sponsor the MKE Hour of Code with added connection points to other key strategies.
- Support events/programs/publications aligned with our committee’s mission, vision and values. For example, STEM Forward, the Wisconsin Affiliate of the National Center for Women & Information Technology, and BizTimes “STUFF Designed, Made and Built in SE WI”.
- District Planning – Support K-12 districts with an interest in developing a comprehensive plan for computer science education.
- Sponsor CSforALL SCRIPT workshop for initial cohort.
- Launch regional K-12 Computing Alliance to provide a coordinated response to identified needs for districts who participate in CSforALL SCRIPT workshop.
- Build capacity for work-based learning to include curated projects, internships, and youth apprenticeships (that can bridge to registered IT apprenticeships).
- College Internships – Develop virtual tech internship program to support college students in overall career/talent development goals and create a peer network of emerging technologists.
- Collaborate with The Commons to develop and evolve initial offering in 2020. Please see the website for details.
- Post-Secondary Transitions – Develop strategies to assist in post-secondary planning and workforce transition.
- Attraction – Develop strategies to attract early career talent to region to support identified talent gaps.